Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Romano Spencer

The North-South Skirmish Association (N-SSA) was formed in 1950 to commemorate the heroism of the men, of both sides, who fought in the American Civil War, 1861-1865. The N-SSA promotes the shooting of Civil War firearms and artillery and encourages the preservation and display of Civil War materials. The N-SSA works to accomplish these goals by conducting skirmishes; competitive, live firing of these Civil War firearms and artillery. 

If you go to the N-SSA's web site and look up on their official list of allowable weapons and under repeaters you will see that for the M1860 Spencer Rifle and Carbine that only two manufactures are allowed. Originals made over 145 years ago by Spencer Repeating Arms, Inc. and reproductions made by L. Romano Rifle Co.

Larry Romano, owner of L. Romano Rifle Co. makes the finest 1860 Spencer reproduction bar none.  In 1998 I contacted him to order a 100% to the original 1860 Spencer carbine. At the time it was 2900 dollars. I paid $500 down and paid $500 every three months until it was paid off. It took Larry 1 year to complete the carbine. I got it in the spring of 1999.
I wanted a Spencer very badly and figured that buying an original had be even more expensive because, hey it would be an original I wanted – how many can be left?  And those left must be in museums, right? 

Well I got the weapon and after a few weeks of loading 56-50 from cut down 50-70 brass using with a set of dies purchased from Larry, I was ready to go to the range.
I went to a local range and set up next to old Buck who was the local expert in black powder weapons and how to load and care for them, so needless to say I was please he was there that day so I could show off my Romano Spencer

Well I set up and started shoot. Sure enough old Buck came over to my lane and asked if he could see my Spencer. He looked it over and made nice noises of appreciation for it. He noticed Larry's proof marks and asked me how much I paid. I told him $2900 and he just shook his head and said – "I'd have sold you my original for $1500. Bet you wished you'd never bought that one now.". Well it ends up you can get originals out there even today. I was a bit mad, but I figured live and learn. 

Well I've shot that Romano for the last 13 years and about 5000 rounds. It shoots flawlessly, is a tack driver, is smoother than silk and made like a 29 jewel Swiss watch.  I haven't had a lick of trouble from it in 13 years.  The best thing of all?  At a local competition I beat old Buck and his original Spencer. 

So back to Old Buck's question "Bet you wished you'd never bought that." - Wish I'd never bought my Romano Spencer ? Hell no! Its been the best damn buy I ever made!

L. Romano Rifle Co. not only makes Spencers, but makes fine Maynards, Keen and Walkers and from what I hear on the grapevine, a J.H. Tarpley reproduction as well.  Has great gear and accessories as well.
Maynard
Keen and Walker
Check L. Romano Rifle Co. out.  It will be worth the look.

2 comments:

  1. Im looking at getting a spencer rifle and apparently handloading is the only real option. Casting the bullets seems alot cheaper because the 56 bullets are hard to find and expensive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drparker95 - I recently got a 44-40 Chiappia Spencer from Taylor's. It is a very high quality gun. The original Chiappia runs were spotty, but the new ones are good builds. With the 44-40 you can buy or hand load. I hand load but for accuracy. If you go 56-50 you will have to hand load.

      Delete