Tuesday, July 21, 2015

150th Battle of Franklin Reenactment

I was fortunate enough last November 2014 to join with my nephew Andy and the Western Sharpshooters operating as the 65th Indiana at the recent 150th Battle of Franklin reenactment.

The 65th Indiana was a Henry armed unit that help hold the Union left of center, directly east of the Carter cotton gin.  It is thought that their fire killed Confederate General Cleburne.  

It was a special thrill to have my nephew Andy with me to experience a small piece of what was actually a common experience for many civil war soldiers both North and South, that being standing in line with your family.  Andy was armed with my Henry, while I had my trusty Spencer rifle.

We got there at about 10am on Saturday.  Unfortunately Andy only had that Saturday to participate in the event.  Most of the men reenacting the 65th Indiana had gotten there the night before and I was told it was a very cold night.  Thankfully Saturday was perfect - about 45-50 degrees and sunny.  

The 65th really made it a neat experience especially for the teens in our group.  We all got mail from home, got paid and got books and gifts from the "Ladies of Indiana".  This really made Andy's experience and he mentions it to this day.

At about 1:30pm we assembled and after instructions, ammo and weapons check we started off to the field - with a band!  It was a huge thrill.  For those of you who reenact, if you've never had the experience of marching off to "battle" with a band playing then please take steps to correct this.  Below is a youtube of us marching off.  The march being played is the "1812 March".


Once on the field the 65th Indiana deployed forward of the battle line as skirmishers.  As the johnnies approached we started a terrific volume of fire that kept them at bay for a bit.  The following youtube has some great closeups of the skirmish line.


You may want to check out the first 5 min or so for the skirmish part.  During this phase I cut the heck out of my knuckle and was bleeding like a stuck pig.  Unfortunately you can see me with a yellow kerchief around my left hand.  I was able to stay in the line though.

After about 15 minutes or so we fell back to the entrenchments and the johnnies started coming on in earnest.  After a few break-throughs we held the line with the terrific fire from out repeaters,  The following youtube shows the repulse of the first charge.


The johnnies came on gamely and really put up a scrape.  I would like to recognize the Confederate reenactors, they were a great group.  No kevlar johnnies at this battle!  It was a privilege to share the field with them.  On the march out the band (I tell you, even if you're plumb tired it perks you up to have a band to march back to) played Dixie in tribute to the johnnies.

Here's another youtube of the entire battle as seen by a drone.  It's an interesting view.  You'll have to ignore the audience chatting.  You may want to mute the volume.


Andy and I left the field at 5pm.  It ends up that the Sunday events had to be canceled due to a nasty snow storm that hit at about 1pm.  Everyone made in back safe and I want to thank the 65th Indiana AKA the Western Sharpshooters.  A great bunch of folks.

The experience was really terrific - made more so by being there with my nephew and the guys of the 65th.

No comments:

Post a Comment