Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Wartrace Regulator's Long Range Shoot, July 29th 2012

The Mighty Spencer Wins the 100 Yard Competition!

One July 29th I participated in my SASS club's long range shoot.  The competition consists of the following three competitions:
  • 200 Yard Rifle Caliber Rifle
  • 100 Yard Pistol Caliber Rifle
  • 50 Yard Pistol Caliber Pistol
We shoot 3-10 round stages with each weapon starting with the 200 yard targets, then the 100 yard targets, then the 50 yard targets in series, then repeat for the next two stages.  The targets are five steel targets in the following sizes.

Target Sizes:
200 yard  32in circle-1pt28in  circle- 2pt24in  circle- 3pt20in  circle- 4pt16in  circle- 5pt
100 yard  16in circle-1pt14in  circle- 2pt12in  circle- 3pt10in  circle- 4pt8in  circle- 5pt
50 yard  Cowboy - 1ptCowboy - 2ptCowboy - 3ptCowboy - 4ptCowboy - 5pt

For the 200 yard competition I used a 1873 Trap-Door Springfield in 45-70 for the first time.  I use 405 gr flat nose hard lead bullet over 12.5 grains of Trail Boss.  I did well for my first time with the rifle, coming in 4th out of 8.  I would have done better but one of the shooters in handing me my rifle bumped my sight a bit so I missed the 4 pt (20in) and 5 pt (16in) targets on my last stage.  I stayed after the match and with the help of my good buddy Dobber I figured out the sight issue on the 1873 and plan on kicking butt next match.

For the 50 yard pistol I simply shot badly & came in 5th.  No excuses on this one!  I use a converted Remington 1858 from Uberti in 45 Long Colt that actually shoots well, but sadly the shooter was the one that was defective with this one.  At 50 yards we shoot the standard cowboy silhouette target.  I use a 200 grain flat nose hard lead bullet over 7gr of Trail Boss for this one.

However at 100 yard I won.   My rifle of choice was my Spencer Rifle from Armisport in 56-50.  I only missed twice - the #2 target and the #5 target.  On the #5 I jerked the trigger.  No excuse for the #2 target.  My final score was 83 out of a possible 90.  I use a hard lead 350 grain flat nose bullet over 9.2 grains of Trail Boss out of cut down 32 gauge brass.

It was a great hoot!  It was nice to shoot well at 200 and 100 with open sights.  Everyone was using peep sights and tang sights, special set triggers and competition triggers so it was an especially nice victory.  As anyone can tell you the sights on a Spencer are not the best, that and the 5lbs trigger pull!

I plan on using the 1873 and the Spencer for the upcoming Tennessee state match for the long range side matches.  I plan on winning too!

No comments:

Post a Comment